Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Af- ri- ca

A three syllable word that means thrills, excitement, awesome sights, lifelong dream...

I'm mentioning casually that I won a trip to Africa....have to be casual or I'll be jumping up and down for months! It all started with Marie asking me if I wanted to go to the Mardi Gras party that "Meals on Wheels" was putting on to raise money. I said I would go, although I wasn't too enthusiastic about it.


I got there and believe me, I had a wonderful time. I met a lot of new people and bid on some silent auctions, had dinner, a few drinks and I thought I was all through.


Ha! Then came the Live Auctions. They had a few local trips and even a chihuahua puppy that I wasn't interested in and I thought I was safe. Then....along came an all expense paid trip to Namibia for two for a photo safari. Well I've always wanted to go to Africa so I bid on it. And then bid again, and again and again and then once more - and I won!

The safari people are coming to my house on Friday to tell me all about it, I guess to tell me I'll be living in a tent surrounded by leopards, snakes and scorpions with only a camera for defense.

Springtime in Africa is in September, about a month before summer officially starts and the temperature starts to rise higher than 115 degrees. The safari company has a website, if you are interested in looking at all the wonderful things they do. http://www.sumsare.net/ . Take a peek, maybe you will want to plan a real safari - with guns!

In the meantime, I'm going to all the airline sites to find flights that aren't too expensive. I think the flight will be in two legs, one from here to Frankfurt, Germany and another from Frankfurt to Windhoek, Namibia.

Already I am picturing myself packing a suitcase. OOOOhhhh that's the worse part of the whole trip. How many 'things' can I live without for a week?

2 comments:

Priss said...

OMG!!!!! Lucky you! Noel, I'm SO excited for you! Please take lots of photos....then share with me!

I know you're going to have a ball. I'm so jealous! LOL!

nan16 said...

I have thought of nothing else since I talked to Gerard and Monique about the trip. I extended it for 3 days so it will be 8 days in all with 2 days on the front end for travelling and one day coming back. I can take 44lbs. of checked luggage with Africa and 18 lbs. of carry on. I'll have my DSLR Nikon with an extra lens, batteries, chargers, SD cards and then a smaller camera for in town. Plug everything else that I take in a carry on. We have to stay overnight in Johannesburg so I'll need all that stuff too. I will take loads of photos.