Thursday, July 27, 2006

Long Ago and Far Away

I'm reading another book about Mary Magdalene, one of several I've read lately that are similar to the DaVinci Code. That book has been so contraversial but I can't help wondering if parts of it could be true.

I've taken a lot of flak from family and friends about my interest in other possibilities, like the idea that Christ didn't die on the cross, but was aided by Pontius Pilate and some apostles in faking his death, rescued from the tomb and continued his married life with Mary Magdalene, had children and lived for a long time. We do know that Mary Magdalene was not a prostitute, this idea was refuted by the Catholic Churce in 1960. They admitted that this was a lie, a story made up by certain Pope's to discredit women in the early life of the Christian church.

Everything else is just a guess. I've read extensively about the lifestyle of the Jews at the time of Christ, their religious beliefs and their moral standards. I don't believe they would have allowed a grown man to teach children unless he was a married man. A boy was not considered 'born' into his family and religious group until he had his Bar Mitsvah at the age of 13, so if he spent 12 years studying in the Temple, he would have been 24 at the time he spoke to the money lenders in the Temple not a boy of 12. It seems that many other customs would have been followed as well.

There was a time period after a man and woman were betrothed before they would actually have the marriage ceremony. No matter what they did before the actual ceremony a woman was considered a virgin until the actual ceremony. Could it be possible that Mary and Joseph had sex during this time and she became pregnant and at the time of her marriage she would have still be considered a virgin, hence, the virgin birth?

Does anyone else think about these things? Is this considered blasphemy just thinking about this?

I was brought up in the Catholic Church and partook of all the sacraments but I don't know if I actually believed any of the things they taught. I knew I felt good going to church and as years went by I didn't attend church anymore. It wasn't until I read a book about the Holy Grail that I started to think about the possibility that Christ was an ordinary man who had a family but wanted to preach goodness and peace among men in his lifetime and that Mary was his wife and the mother of his children. He never intended to found a new religion but worshipped God as his spiritual father, not his biological father.

I've started a new book called "The Expected One" by Kathleen McGowan. It's a novel and takes place in modern day times, is not as intriguing as the Da Vinci Code and others so I'll only know if it inspires in me more heavy thinking after I finish it. I do want to still read the Thomas Gospels and the Gnostic Gospels although I may get more feedback from my family than I want unless I keep my ideas to myself.

I do still consider myself a Christian but I'm trying to figure out why beyond pure faith. I'm the kind of person that wants to see something for myself or have someone prove it to me before I believe. Is this a bad thing? I know I'll still have my own opinions whether I express them or not.

2 comments:

Linda@VS said...

You and I think a lot alike. I, too, would like to know the truth behind the scriptures. I have no trouble at all believing in a higher power, whether people call it God, Allah, or whatever, but I liked the Jesus of the DaVinci Code better than the one I learned about in Sunday School. Interesting post. Thanks for giving us something to chew on.

KStringer said...

Reading stuff like the Gospel Of Judas makes me wonder about most things biblical