Thursday, July 20, 2006

Reunion!

I am going to my high school class reunion. I've made plane reservations, rented a car and made hotel reservations and all I have to do is lose 30 lbs. in 3 weeks! That is if I want to show up like the last reunion which I went to as a size 6!

I don't think it's going to be possible given that I waited until the last minute to make the decision to go. Now I have to get around the fact that all the other people won't seem as old to me. I'll be one of them, one of the old people. It will be fifty (50) in case you didn't read that correctly, years since I graduated from high school. I felt like 10 years ago I was young, I didn't recognize anyone. Who were these people? I thought I went to the wrong event! This year I'm going to fit right in unless I starve myself for the next 3 weeks and maybe lose a couple of pounds. Or maybe I'll be the only one who has gained weight and people won't know who I am. I'll definitely need that label they give you to stick on your dress.

I grew up in a small town in Connecticut, lived almost across the street from the grammar school and went to the same school through 6th grade. Almost everyone that I started kindergarten with went through all the grades with me, right up until high school. There were 2 grammar schools, one was Broad Street School where I went and Linden Street School across town. In Junior High School we all gathered together in 7th grade and went on through high school together.

This photo is my 4th grade class with Mrs. Smith. I was madly in love with the boy in the second row on the left as were all the other girls. The girl in the top row second from left had the inside track all through grammar school.

  Posted by Picasa

I think some of these people will be at the reunion. I've been emailing the girl sitting on my right, Beverly, and it seems amazing to me that we can email like it hasn't been 30 years or more since we've communicated with each other.

The picture below is my 3rd grade class with Miss Tomasso. Most of the same kids but the girl in the 2nd row on the left side was my best friend and I noticed this is the last photo of her in my class. She lived on my street and her name was Audrey. She moved away after 3rd grade but we were friends from kindergarten till then. I remember a time when I was at her house playing and we went inside and her mother was running around in the kitchen with water collecting at an alarming rate all over the floor. The flood was coming from the bathroom just off the kitchen and the toilet had stopped up and she was running around looking for a plunger. It frightened me so much that after I went home I was afraid to flush the toilet for about a year. Audrey moved to Maine and after that I played with the boys on the street, playing baseball, riding bikes, playing cowboys and Indians, marbles and after dark playing hide and seek.

  Posted by Picasa

You probably won't recognize me, I hardly recognize myself. In the first picture I'm the 3rd from the right in the 2nd row. In the second picture I'm 4th from the right in the first row. I hope you noticed that the boy I had a crush on is standing next to his 'girlfriend' in the 3rd grade picture. That 'relationship' lasted until 7th grade or 8th grade when I got lucky and he let me wear his watch for two weeks until someone else started wearing it and I was heartbroken. I wonder if this guy is still a ladykiller!

3 comments:

Linda@VS said...

Okay, my best guess is that the girl 3rd from left on the back row is you. How'd I do?

nan16 said...

Try again, you looked before I was finished. I haven't figured out a way to copy the html unless I publish first so it takes me awhile to publish all the pictures, copy the html and then delete all the pictures! If there is another way to do it let me know!

Linda@VS said...

Okay, the "girlfriend" that you identified as 2nd from left on the top row is the one I thought might be you. I'd said 3rd from left, but I was counting the teacher. I tried to pick out the one who looked most like my sister. The real you was my second choice.

I'm not clear on the problem you're having with html code and pictures, etc. If you're uploading your pictures with Picasa, that would be one thing that's different from how I do it. All I know is I don't have to copy a lot of html. If you'd like to be more specific, you can email me at velvetsacks@eatel.net and we can compare notes.