Saturday, January 19, 2008

Visitors




I've had daily visitors to my yard. In the spring there are some hens and one gobbler usually with six or seven little ones trailing behind. Last fall there were thirteen hens who grouped together to range all over the community here pecking at the ground looking for seeds and bugs to eat. They make the pilgramage everyday around the same time.






This picture was taken from the side yard which goes downhill into the woods. They possibly have nests in the woods, I've seen them sit on my fence and fly up into the trees but somehow I think they make nests on the ground.




I don't know if it's one big gaggle or several families that roam around. I have yet to catch a picture of the male fanning his tail feathers but he is impressive.




Off they go into the neighbor's yard. I have seen them pecking at my dining room window but as soon as I run to get the camera they are this far away. Turkeys are funny birds, when they fly they make a sound like a freight train. They call to each other at night and sometimes I can make a sound like they do and they will answer back. I wonder what I'm saying in turkey talk!

No comments: