Thursday, June 29, 2006

Awake or dreaming

The other night I dreamed that my dog ran away and she didn't have her collar on. I whistled and called for her to come back but she was hell bent on catching a cat on the other side of the street. I woke up with Tinker licking my face anxiously. Did I whistle in my sleep or call her name? I've often woken up from a dead sleep crying with tears running down my face. My pet's reaction the other night leads me to believe that I must be acting out my dreams out loud.

I've dreamed before that I was in a submarine and couldn't breathe. I fought to open a window to let in some air and finally woke myself up in a cold sweat. The next morning I found that the painting over my bed was hanging askew and I remember in my dream that I had ripped off the window to get some air and then put it back. It must have been the picture I ripped off the wall and then put back on the picture hanger and not getting it on straight.

Does this mean I might walk in my sleep or walk outside and come back in and go back to bed or do I restrict myself to doing things only in my room. I don't take sleeping pills or anything to help me sleep. Is this phenomenon a normal thing? I have often wondered what dreams mean and have even read books about it but they all sound silly to me. Are dreams our subconscious minds acting out things we would or wouldn't do during our waking hours?

I have very colorful dreams during times of stress but they don't seem to have anything to do with the condition causing the stress. Sometimes these dreams can be very interesting and I don't want to wake up until the dream is over. Especially the shopping dreams where I try on new clothes endlessly - I'm always wondering what I'll finally pick out.

Some people tell me that they don't dream at all. That seems unlikely to me, I think they just don't remember them or they never get into the REM sleep stage where dreams appear.

My big question is do dreams help us get through our days because we are releasing tensions that occur during the day that we can't get rid of during the day. I wonder if people who do yoga or biofeedback have these colorful, interesting dreams or are their daily tensions already released and they have nothing to dream about?

2 comments:

Linda@VS said...

Now I understand why you're a night owl; sleep must be EXHAUSTING for you. On the other hand, as much as I hate to exercise, it might be nice to get some while I'm sleeping and don't know it.

nan16 said...

Velvet: Well exercising is one of things I don't want to do in my waking hours, maybe I wake up and think I've already done it! But it doesn't look that way LOL!